Sunshine In Paris retired after injury
Group 1 winning mare Sunshine In Paris (Invader) has been retired after sustaining an injury at trackwork on Tuesday morning. “After consultation with her owners, John and Deb Camilleri and our vets, we have decided to retire her with immediate effect,” trainers Annabel and Rob Archibald said on social media.
“She has been a wonderful flag bearer for the stable, who delivered us unforgettable moments on the track and we are very grateful to John and Deb for entrusting us with their star mare, who will fondly be remembered as Rob's first Group 1 winner.”
Sunshine In Paris had been marked as a runner for her owner’s John Camilleri's Fairway Thoroughbreds The Everest slot. Winner of seven of her 17 starts and over $6 million, Sunshine In Paris won the 2025 G1 Doomben 10,000, 2024 G1 VRC Sprint Classic and 2024 G1 Surround Stakes.
Queman set for G1 AJ Moir
Trainers Shane and Cassie Oxlade have set last start G3 Behemoth Stakes winner Queman (Mint Lane {USA}) for the G1 AJ Moir Stakes. “I was always keen on the Moir and so was Boof (owner Francis Smith) and the boys,” Shane Oxlade told racingsa.com.au.
Queman | Image courtesy of The Image Is Everything
“Providing the weather remains reasonably dry, that’s the plan. If that doesn’t happen, we have the Wylie here (in Adelaide) a week later as a back-up. We were able to give him a week in the paddock after the Behemoth, but he came through the run beautifully. He had an easy time of it, but he’s had a couple of nice gallops since, and the boss is really happy with him. He looks a million dollars.”
Berry keen on Raging Force for San Domenico
Jockey Tommy Berry is keen on 3-year-old gelding Raging Force (Cosmic Force) for Saturday’s G3 San Domenico Stakes. “I rode Raging Force to win a trial at Randwick last week and he has come back really well,” Berry told racenet.com.au of the Peter Snowden-trained horse.
Raging Force | Image courtesy of Georgia Young Photography
“He's only had a few weeks out but has furnished again during that break. This is going to be a very hot race on Saturday and that is the reason he is in it to see where he sits among the better 3-year-olds. He is on the Golden Rose path and hopefully he can prove himself up to that level on Saturday.”
Convergent set for Group 1 target
If Convergent (Impending) can win on Wednesday at Kensington, trainers Jim and Greg Lee will set him for the G1 Metropolitan Handicap in October. “He needs to knock off a few now. The 1800 metres is what he’s crying out for,” Greg Lee told racingnsw.com.au.
“He just knows how to the hit the line, that’s one thing he does know what to do. There’s a couple of races for him but we will run him in the Kingston Town and that will tell us what direction we are going. I reckon another 50m he wins the other day. I’m very confident in the way he’s pulled up and how he’s going ahead.”
Coco Sun set for G1 Metropolitan
Trainers Tony and Calvin McEvoy will set Group 1 winner Coco Sun (The Autumn Sun) for the G1 Metropolitan Handicap. She was set to resume in the Listed Rowley Mile which was washed out. “Coco Sun, she's ready to run,” Calvin McEvoy told racing.com.
Coco Sun | Image courtesy of Racing Photos
“She's now at a rating that she can get in quite well as a Group 1 winner into this Benchmark 100. We're thinking about kicking her off there and we'll look to run her three weeks later in the Kingston Town and both of them could end up in the Metropolitan.” Stablemate Half Yours (St Jean {Ire}) will join her on the same path.
Hayes v Hayes in The Everest
The Hayes brothers are hoping to find a G1 The Everest slot for War Machine (NZ) (Harry Angel {Ire}) which will put them up against their father David Hayes-trained Hong Kong Horse of The Year Ka Ying Rising (NZ) (Shamexpress {NZ}). “(War Machine) is great, he'll be trialling very soon,” Ben Hayes told racing.com.
Hayes brothers | Image courtesy of The Image Is Everything
“We're looking at kicking off in the Manikato first-up and heading to Sydney. Hopefully, if he's good enough, we'll be running in a race like The Everest, or if not, the (Sydney Stakes) on that same day.”
Asfoora heads to Ireland, then France
A pair of Group 1 targets are on the radar for last start G1 Nunthorpe Stakes winner Asfoora (Flying Artie). She’ll run in the G1 Flying Five at The Curragh on September 14, and three weeks will head to France for the G1 Prix De l'Abbeye at Longchamp on October 5.
Asfoora | Image courtesy of The Image Is Everything
Entain ANZ announces new CEO
On Tuesday, Entain announced Andrew Vouris has been appointed as CEO of Entain Australia & New Zealand (ANZ). “Andrew stood out as the right leader for Entain ANZ,” Entain Group chief executive Stella David said.
Andrew Vouris | Image courtesy of Entain Australia and New Zealand
“His leadership as Interim CEO has demonstrated his commitment to our people, our partners, and to building a sustainable, compliance-led and customer-focused culture. Andrew has made great progress since he arrived at Entain, and I am very much looking forward to continuing working with him.”
Magic Millions extends contract for Tasmanian yearling sale
Tasracing announced on Tuesday that Magic Millions have extended their contract to host the Magic Millions Tasmania Yearling Sale for a further five years until 2030. Tasracing also announced an extension to the TASBREED scheme with more funding and opening it up to winning a maiden at any age. “An extra $1 million annually for the TASBRED scheme is significant. This investment is a lifeline, pivotal to the sustainability of the Tasmanian breeding and racing industry,” Magic Millions managing director Barry Bowditch told tasracing.com.au.
Barry Bowditch | Image courtesy of Magic Millions
“The ability to turn a $1000 TASBRED bonus into a $4000 sales or service fee voucher, along with other enhancements announced, are material incentives to breed and own locally. We commend Tasracing and the State Government and we are committed to supporting and promoting the Tasmanian thoroughbred product to achieve the absolute best outcomes for its participants.”
MyRacehorse partners with TasRacing to buy a yearling
On the back of the announcement that Magic Millions had extended their sales contract for Tasmania, MyRacehorse and TasRacing also announced that they had formed an agreement to buy a yearling at the upcoming 2026 sale and race it locally. “We believe that one of the best ways to get people more engaged in racing is through ownership,” MyRacehorse Australia managing director Ben Willis told tasracing.com.au.
Ben Willis | Image courtesy of Magic Millions
“The Tasmanian racing industry continues to go from strength to strength. Tasracing has built the right foundations for a strong and sustainable racing industry, with high-quality racing experiences, industry integrity and animal welfare at the heart of everything they do. Additionally, Magic Millions are great partners of MyRacehorse and we look forward to continuing our relationship through the 2026 Magic Millions Tasmanian Yearling Sale.”
Group 2 winner Philia to miss the spring
Trainer David Vandyke will miss the spring with Group 2 winning 4-year-old mare Philia (All Too Hard). “She had been in work for a year and I just thought she needed a longer break,” Vandyke told racingqueensland.com.au.
Philia | Image courtesy of Trackside Photography
“I didn’t want to rush her so I’ve chosen to miss the spring and she’ll come back in time for the autumn next year.” The half-sister to Group 1 winner Duais (Shamus Award) won four races in succession over the autumn and winter including the G2 The Roses.
Goodwin brings up the ton
Trainer Reece Goodwin achieved his 100th win as a trainer on Monday when Missile Girl (Smart Missile) won at Pakenham. “We've had our doors open not quite four years,” Goodwin told racing.com on Tuesday.
“It all kicked off with one horse and we now have a full barn of 30. We've had our breakout season last season (with 42 winners). I was able to scrape into the top 20 Victorian trainers, statewide, so that was another accomplishment and then to tick off the 100 winners (yesterday) was a great milestone.
“My first winner was at Pakenham on the grass and my 100th winner was at Pakenham on the synthetic, so it was great to do it locally as well. It's been a great ride so far and obviously I have to thank plenty of staff and owners and everyone who has helped me get this far. Hopefully there's another 100 to come.”
Winner number nine for Anders
Second season sire Anders added winner number nine when Matthew Cumani-trained 3-year-old gelding Single Choice won at Ballarat on Tuesday by an impressive 4.25l. Placed on debut at two, he was having his third start.
Kingstar Farm sold him at the Inglis Classic Yearling Sale to Riversley Park for $80,000 and they on-sold him for NZ$80,000 to Cumani Racing at the New Zealand Bloodstock Ready To Run Sale. He is the second winner for Listed winner Sebring Sally (Sebring) who is a half-sister to Group 3 winner Roy’s Riveria (All Too Hard).
Double for Casino Prince
Recently retired Vinery Stud stallion Casino Prince sired a double at Grafton with Full Regalia and Casino Bear who has won three of his last four starts.
The Group 1 winning son of Flying Spur is best known for Group 1 winner and successful sire All Too Hard and retired with two Group 1 winners and 24 stakes winners.
Miss Ziggy set to break through on Saturday
Last season’s good juvenile Miss Ziggy (NZ) (Brazen Beau) had seven starts for four placings for trainer Andrew Carston and was placed in the R.Listed Karaka 2YO Million. She resumes this Saturday at Riccarton. “Miss Ziggy has come back in fantastic order and trialled well the other day. She will start her preparation on Saturday and go from there,” Carston told Loveracing.nz.
Slight increase in fatalities in USA
The Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority's 2025 Second Quarter Metrics Report was released Monday, showing a slight increase in racing-related fatalities over the same period last year, according to the organisation on Monday. The report offers a detailed analysis of key performance indicators tied to the safety and integrity of Thoroughbred racing in the United States.
Between April 1 and June 30, racetracks operating under HISA's rules reported 1.24 racing-related equine fatalities per 1,000 starts, up from 0.76 fatalities per 1,000 starts reported during the same period last year.
While this quarter reflects an increase from the racing-related fatality rate reported during the same quarter last year, the rate is a 16% decrease from the 1.48 fatalities per 1,000 starts recorded in the second quarter of 2023–HISA's first year of data collection. As data collection and analysis become more advanced, they are enabling more targeted interventions to address areas of concern and improve outcomes across the sport.
“Progress isn't always linear and it doesn't happen passively–it takes discipline, a commitment to transparency and a shared daily focus on doing what's right for our horses and our sport,” said HISA CEO Lisa Lazarus. “Now is the time for every stakeholder to step up. Safety is a non-negotiable priority. The future of Thoroughbred racing depends on our collective will to embrace change and to adapt to improved standards across the industry.”
Jono Snaith active at South African Sale
Le Soleil (Saf) (Vercingetorix {Saf}) topped the Bloodstock South Africa August 2-Year-Old Sale when selling for a record R4 million (AU$350,000) to Jono Snaith of Snaith Racing. The juvenile colt is out of former champion Clouds Unfold (Saf) (What A Winter {Saf}) and was consigned by Drakenstein Stud.
He also secured two other colts and a filly for over R1-million apiece–all by Rafeef–and in doing so topped the buyers' table with eight lots purchased for a total of R9.03 million (AU$791,000), averaging R1,128,750 (AU$98,800).
Statistically, 256 lots sold of 265 offered (97%) for a gross of R80.9 million (AU$7 million) over the two-day stand from August 20-21. The average rose 12% to R314,512 (AU$27,500) and the median rose 63% to R260,000 (AU$22,800).
Varsfontein Stud was the leading vendor with 17 lots sold for R10.37 million (AU$908,000) at an average of R610,000 (AU$53,400) per horse, and Australian-bred Rafeef, a son of Redoute’s Choice, came out on top of the sires' list with similar figures–his offspring fetched R10.72 million (AU$939,000) at R630,588 (AU$55,200) per lot sold.